Monday, April 27, 2009

Rained out and rained on in Seoul


I spent this past weekend in Seoul, South Korea. I was there to participate in The Asian Cup, a tournament put on by the guys who run the Canadian Ball Hockey Korea organization. I have been playing ball hockey in Tokyo for 12 years, but only recently have we been participating in tournaments regularly, and this was my first overseas trip. We did OK, losing 1-0 in the semi-finals in very wet and slippery conditions. I scored a lame shootout goal that won our quarterfinal contest, which made the entire trip worthwhile. I won't go into recapping the day's events, as that will be done elsewhere for those who are interested, but it was rainy and the surface was slick, which made for an interesting and memorable day.

Doosan Bears do not play

I was also hoping to catch a ball game while I was in Seoul. Friday night, the Doosan Bears were scheduled to host the LG Twins at the Jamsil Stadium, which is part of the Olympic Sports Complex. Unfortunately, it started raining early in the afternoon and the game was called. I didn't even make the trek to the stadium, although I did see it the next day as our hockey tournament was played next door. There was a game Saturday night too, but that was also postponed.

The upshot is that I'll have to make a return trip to Korea sometime to check out a game here and maybe in a couple of other cities too. But that will probably be next year as this year is pretty well filled up already.

Best,

Sean

Update (1/12/12): I have yet to return to Korea but still have it on the list of places to see a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment