Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dollar a Day Part 2 - This Trip I'm Taking!


My last post described how Dollar Rent-A-Car has these great one-way specials for $1 a day plus tax. Unfortunately, circumstances prevented me from taking the trip I detailed there. Fortunately though, Dollar has another one-way deal. This time, you can pick up the car in New York City, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Philadelphia and return it pretty much anywhere in Florida. The deal runs from now until November 17th and then from November 29th until December 15th. So I had a quick look at the schedule and found out that the Maple Leafs are in Pittsburgh on December 8th! I had already planned to be in Madison, Wisconsin on that day, but the Leafs in a new road arena trumps any other sporting event, especially college basketball. I quickly eliminated my Wisconsin basketball excursion and started to plan around that Leafs-Pens game. Here's what I came up with:
Dec  6   Dallas Stars at Columbus Blue Jackets 7:00
Dec 7 Robert Morris Colonials at West Virginia Mountaineers 7:00 (NCAA Basketball)
Dec 8 Toronto Maple Leafs at Pittsburgh Penguins 7:00
Dec 9 Florida Panthers at Washington Capitals 7:00
Dec 10 Hershey Bears at Charlotte Checkers 7:00 (AHL)
Dec 11 Boston Celtics at Charlotte Bobcats 7:00
Dec 12 Oakland Raiders at Jacksonville Jaguars 1:00 (ugh)
Dec 13 New Orleans Hornets at Miami Heat 7:30
I'm still going to Minneapolis for the 3-game weekend from Dec 3-5 (Flames at Wild, Cavs at T-Wolves, Bills at Vikings). But the rest of that trip is being discarded for this special. I'll forgive you for thinking I'm a shill for Dollar - I'm not. But these specials are simply perfect for sports road trips; I just hope that other road trippers can take advantage.

In other news, I'm going to modify my January trip too. I still plan to see the Winter Classic in Pittsburgh as well as the World Juniors in Buffalo, but I'm going to skip the AHL games I had planned after that as the trip above will take care of most of the allocated budget. I'm still not sure how it will all work out, but I'll post a final schedule here once everything is booked.

Best,

Sean

Update: Dollar and Thrifty are run by the same company and both have these one-way specials on site with slight differences. Now Thrifty has a special from Seattle/Portland/Boise to California or Las Vegas, again finishing November 17th. The reason for all these one-way specials is to get cars to holiday destinations in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Guessing there will be reverse deals in early 2011, so keep your eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment