Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Toronto Blue Jays 2 at New York Mets 3 - June 16, 2015


My Toronto on the Road series took a hit earlier this season when the Blue Jays went 0-3 at the games I saw in Houston. I was hoping for a return to .500 with a win in Queens, where I happen to live these days. I had to miss Monday's game (which they lost 4-3 in extra innings to snap an 11-game winning streak) returning from Europe which left me a battle between Matt Harvey and Scott Copeland, making his second career start.



Considering the Jays had never won while visiting the Mets (they were swept in 3-game series in 1997, 1999, and 2001), the chances of that streak snapping in this game were pretty low and when Copeland gave up 3 runs in just 4 innings (including an RBI double to Harvey), the Jays had some catching up to do.

Harvey completed 7 scoreless before being replaced and the Jays finally managed a rally against Carlos Torres. Ryan Goins walked and pinch hitter Kevin Pillar singled. Jose Reyes then singled to right but third-base coach Luis Rivera held Goins at third, respecting Curtis Granderson's arm for some reason. Pillar was not paying attention and didn't stop at second, making him an easy out, the old 9-3 putout at third base. While I was cursing Pillar's preoccupation, Josh Donaldson walked to load the bases, and the Mets brought in Bobby Parnell. Jose Bautista (above) hit a sacrifice fly to score the Jays first run of the evening and Edwin Encarnacion singled to make it 3-2. But Chris Colabello struck out and the Jays went down in order in the ninth to lose 3-2 and give Parnell a 5-out save. Ugh.



The Jays are now 0-11 all time in Queens. My next Toronto on the Road game will be the Leafs, and with the NHL schedule due out next week, I'll be adding a few of those games to my schedule shortly.  Check back to see which rinks I'll be visiting in 2015-16 to see the new Leafs begin the long road back to respectability.

Best,

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment